Room: Amphi Bordeaux - level 3
Saturday 1 February 2020 at 09:00 to 10:00
Format: FOCUS SESSION > covering a major topic of the congress
48min - 4 successive 12-min presentations
12min - Q&A
Breast Reconstruction with Implant in Radiated Patients using fat grafting: long-term results
Objectives: Modern fat grafting breast augmentation allows to successfully enhance a breast. However, there is no fine control on breast footprint and IMF, as well as on breast projection and shape. In this paper, the author introduces a novel scarless technique to enhance breast shape in fat grafting breast augmentation (FGBA) and evaluate its beneficial effect in improving the cosmetic outcomes.
Introduction: When compared to breast augmentation with implants, FGBA is a closed procedure based on “liquid” augmentation, which does not allow to provide a high defined volume as for “solid” (i.e. implant) augmentation where the implant dictates shapes, volume and volume distribution. Thus, FGBA suffers three main technical limitations: no fine control on final breast footprint, no fine control on position of the new inframammary fold (IMF) and no fine control on breast projection and shape.
Materials / method: Fifty-one consecutive patients undergoing cosmetic breast augmentation with fat only between September 2012 and August 2016 were retrospectively reviewed. In the first 29 cases(56%) we did not use dual anchor cog threads(Group A-control group) whereas in the remaining 22 cases(44%), we used dual anchor cog threads (Group B, case group).Breast shape analysis was performed using a standardized evaluation method and the BREAST-Q was used to study patients' satisfaction. Mann-Whitney U test and Chi-square tests were for categorical variables, independent-samples t-test for continuous variables.
Results: No significative difference in graft take was found (mean Group-A 71.2% vs Group-B 71.6%, p<0.05). Group B showed significantly higher rating than Group A, for lower pole profile, IMF and lateral footprint definition. No major postoperative complications were experienced in both groups. In Group B no thread-related complications were experienced.
Conclusion: The dual anchor thread suture is a novel, effective, simple, reliable, safe and scarless method to improve breast shape in fat grafting breast augmentation, allowing to achieve high-defined results.